Mostly, this is just what I plan to do with the model and give you an idea of what I’m going to be working towards. I’m very confident in my technical skills, but my actual experience is a bit lacking.
So to start, I’d like to point out that all my previous modeling experience is pretty limited. I’ll list it here:
– I built a ton (a TON) of Gundam models way back in my ever fading youth and painted only one of them with paint-markers.
– I built a tiny (like, 1/100 scale) Chi-Nu tank.
– I built a terrible (the model was terrible) LaGG-3 model from somewhere in Ukraine that was made in the 90s. None of the pieces fit flush and I had no idea what putty or ‘greenstuff’ could do for me at the time.
In essence, I can piece together most any model, I think, but painting one is a new experience. With my first serious tank model and my obsession with camouflage and accuracy, I’ve been pouring over my accumulated resources to make sure I have an interesting and accurate pattern in mind. I think I will also paint on some tactical markings by hand, as I’m fairly certain of my ability to paint small details with relative skill.
I spent the previous two days practicing painting on my two older vehicle models with some of the paints I got and arrived at the following process for how I will paint mine.
First, I will apply a coat of a dark grey primer to everything on the sprues, rather than removing them out right. The areas covered by the attachment nubs will be small and I can touch those up once I remove them. Once that’s done, I’ll carefully sand the paint to make sure it’s even before proceeding to assemble the hull components and paint them with a base coat of Tamiya’s Dull Red, which will look fairly similar to the red-oxide primer that the Germans used. With the hull components completed, I’ll finish things like the wheels, tracks, and exterior equipment racks. Before applying those, I’m considering using Squadron’s Green Putty to make Zimmerit. The issue is that making the pattern in the Zimmerit, I don’t have anything on hand that would work. I may need to make a tool that’ll let me do that, and I’ll look around online for ideas with how to go about that. One of the neat things is that by applying my own ersatz zimmerit, I can make it look more authentic and ‘worn’ than it would with brass etched kits. Sadly, I don’t have any photo-etched metal parts to add to the engine deck or the mudguards/schurzen, but I’ll make due (it’s my first serious model build after all).
As of posting this, I’ve finished the hull assembly and started painting the Dull Red base coat. I’ll get pictures as soon as I finish the base coat.